All members of the Shih Tzu Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs, which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as standalone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) No bitch should be bred from under 18 months of age or her 3rd season or have more than four litters in her lifetime or if the dam has reached the age of 8 years. No bitch should be mated every season.
16) No member should breed a litter unless he/she has the time and facilities to devote proper time and attend to the rearing of the puppies and the wellbeing of the dam. No member should provide stud services unless he/she is satisfied that the owner of the bitch has such time and facilities.
17) ALL BREEDING SHOULD BE AIMED AT THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE BREED AND MEMBERS SHOULD DO ALL IN THEIR POWER TO DISCOURAGE BREEDING FROM CLEARLY INFERIOR SPECIMENS – AND OWNERS OF STUD DOGS SHOULD REFUSE SERVICES TO SUCH SPECIMENS.
18) No member should allow their bitch to have a litter unless he/she is reasonably sure of finding good, permanent homes for the puppies. No puppy should leave the breeder before 8 weeks, ten weeks advisable.
19) Do not sell a Shih Tzu to any country without legislation for the protection of animals from cruelty similar in intent to such laws in Great Britain and who do not have a reciprocal agreement with the English Kennel Club.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate